FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Flynn Redux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Odd Job View Drop Down
Registered Users
Registered Users

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Odd Job Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flynn Redux
    Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 12:38pm
Philly and SE PA is very fortunate to have 80-90% of Flynn's work.

I belong to one and have played them all multiple times.

My list
1- Phila CC - Maxwell's efforts on the greens bumped this up a big notch.  Just a delightful play and challenge over and over and over.  Best tree work of any Flynn to date.

2- Lehigh - A shocker for all, I'm sure.  Part of this is on potential as a new master plan is being effected.  Amazing routing on a terrific property.  Needs more par 4 length variety which is addressed in master plan.  Sorely needs better conditioning.

3- Manufacturer's -  More tree work needs doing but the layout is to behold.  Wonderful 3's and 5's especially.

4- Lancaster - holes through 8 (except the dull 7th) are among the best of all Flynn, but the course loses its way from 9-18 on that big bowl out back of the clubhouse.  #16 is very pretty but plays one way (and is still over-treed) and #12 is a pure throw-away.  Really hurts overall .

5 - Huntingdon Valley - the best nine is the "C" which no one plays.  "A" is like a NASCAR race and "B" goes terribly wrong at the start. Very uneven and a tedious play with the speed, firmness and absurd side slopes

6 - Green Valley - one meh hole great mid first nine stretch.  Most underappreciated

X+1 - Rolling Green - most uneven, deserves last spot of the "major works".  4-6 meh, 7 needs a ton of work, Flynn should have built hole #8 the other direction (from elevated tee), #9 is a bore.  10, 12, 1314 are excellent and then the way is terribly lost.

X - Woodcrest.  This is now a Rees Jones Course.

Poor Plymouth is so run down it's not fair to compare to the big ones
Bala is a great "little" course and little is just fine.

Hope everyone enjoys and comments
SundayBagger View Drop Down
Registered Users
Registered Users

Quote SundayBagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 11:43am
Interesting list, although I can't say I agree with you in every case.  My own person ranking of Flynn courses would be:

1. Huntingdon Valley.  I totally disagree about the C course being the best.  

2. Lancaster CC.  Superb.  And what a pleasant surprise.

3. Phila CC.  Can't put my finger on why I thoroughly enjoy it but don't love it. 

3b. Rolling Green.  Excellent Flynn course, especially since the restoration.  Doesn't get the attention it deserves.

4. Lehigh.  If it were closer to Phila, it would get more notice.

5. Manny's.  Would rank higher among Flynn's except it has a couple of so-so to weak holes.  Never been a fan of the short downhill par 3.

6. Green Valley. What's shocking is that a course this good could rank 6th on my list of Flynns.

7. Plymouth.  If you haven't played it in a while, it might be in better shape than you remember.

8. Woodcrest.  Haven't played it in years, so I can't say much.

jwb View Drop Down
Registered Users
Registered Users

Quote jwb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2011 at 2:59am
Where is the love for McCall?

SmileWink
 Post Reply Post Reply